This holiday, add some cheer to your days and maybe create new traditions. Sometimes, a quiet evening of board games or sitting by the fireside with a smoked sea salt cocktail is all you need to unwind and relax.
Smoked cocktails are pleasurable and delicious drinks to make. Plus, you can pick whatever flavor you want, and just about any smoked ingredient goes well.
Try smoked sea salt, maple bourbon whiskey, or physically smoke your glass before putting the cocktail together – whatever tickles your fancy. It depends on how smoky you want your cocktail.
Here are some smoky cocktail suggestions for the holidays.
1. Cadillac Margarita
Any top-shelf margarita is perfection in a glass. You can enjoy it with food, and it beautifully balances saltiness, bitterness, sweetness, and sourness.
“The perfect condiment for your soul.” – Oregano Spices
While all margarita enthusiasts have their preference, many enjoy salt on the rim – a delicious way to enjoy a margarita. Consider the Cadillac Margarita on the rocks with a float of Grand Marnier and salt.
- Pick a quality tequila for your margarita (preferably 100% Agave)
- Coat your cocktail rim in smoked fine sea salt.
- Drop some ice if you prefer
2. Grapefruit Smoked Salt London Mule
This is the classic London Mule with a twist. And if you’re not familiar with the British-inspired gin and ginger cocktail, no worries, the recipe is as follows.
For classic London Mule:
- Gin (two ounces)
- Ginger beer (3 ounces)
- Juice from half a lime
- Garnish (lime wheel)
For Grapefruit Smoked Salt London Mule:
- Fill up a Mule mug with ice
- Add all ingredients into the mug and stir (briefly)
- Garnish with a lime wheel
- Use some smoked sea salt for the rim
- Add some fresh citrus
3. Smoky Jalapeno Margarita
Careful, you might become obsessed with this margarita because it’s got a magical taste with so much flavor.
The homemade jalapeno simple syrup ushers a hint of sweetness and delicious heat. Coupled with tequila and chili powder, you’ll get a smoky, sultry flavor. It has a smoked chili sea salt around the rim, which gives you a chili packed taste before anything hits your lips.
For the Jalapeno Simple Syrup:
- Pour one cup of water in a cup or small bowl
- Add one cup of sugar and mix
- Add one jalapeno, halved
For the Smoky Jalapeno Margarita:
- Add ice to the glass
- Squeeze out the juice of two limes
- Add two 1/2 oz Jalapeno Simple Syrup
- Add 1/3 cup of gold tequila
- Add 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- Add 1/2 oz orange liqueur (Grand Marnier or triple sec)
- Garnish with slices of jalapeno and lime wedges
For the Smoked Chile Salt Rim:
- One lime (quartered)
- One tablespoon of smoked sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Have a Blast This Holiday
Now you have three great cocktails with a smoked sea salt rim to try. While the presentation is part of it all, rimming your cocktail glass does more than enhance looks. The ring provides color, texture, and contrasting flavors to your cocktail. The dose of salt offsets the sweetness and sourness within the drink. Have fun.